7.3 Power Stroke Water Pump Replacement


Right after I replaced the glow plugs the water pump started leaking. It is unrelated to the last repair and it is located on a totally different part of the engine.

The repair went pretty well. I first drained out all the antifreeze/water out of the engine and took off the overflow tank. I then removed the belt and the hoses attached to the pump. A c-clamp works well for removing and installing the hose clamps.

The hard part was removing the fan. The first fan removal wrench set that I rented form AutoZone, consisting of a pulley holder and a wrench, were too small. I took it back for the correct size and proceeded to remove the fan. It is not like working on a normal car. I have to get up onto the engine and sit directly above the fan in order to get enough leverage to twist on the wrench and pulley holder.

This second wrench was not working at all. After it slipped twice, and started to smooth out the edges of the nut, I backed off and was very irritated at the part manufacturer for making such a poor quality wrench. (see photos)

I think God was teaching me a lesson in patience because the very next day, after purchasing a set of wrenches large enough to do the job, the nut was totally loose. I did not even need the wrench to take off the fan nut. That is how loose it was. Maybe the second time the wrench slipped it was actually loosening. I doubt this because I tried to use the rental wrench to tighten up the fan nut so I could take the new wrench set back unused. No go… it simply slipped again. The opening of the wrench was just too large to grab hold of the nut. I ended up using the new wrench to install the fan. It worked like a champ.

After the fan was out of the way I tackled the removal of the pump. Once the pump was off, I stripped it of its good parts and installed the new water pump on in very little time. Using a torque wrench I completed the job and reattached the hoses.

I flushed the radiator a few times and filed it back up with ½ antifreeze and ½ distilled water. I test drove it last night and it worked like a champ. The heater and AC both work fine and there were no leaks. I am very pleased.

P.S. Antifreeze is highly toxic. Wear latex gloves and dispose of the liquid properly. Do not put it down the drain or into the street gutter!!!!! That is not cool.















1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    Hey Casey, Texasmechanic here from Bateau. Here's a trick for you next time you have to do a water pump...Break the pulley bolts loose with a wrench before you take the belt off, makes life so much easier and you don't risk damaging the impeller at all. Makes life so much easier! Do the same when you put them back on, snug them up, put the belt back on, and then tighten them to spec.